Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy New Year, again... This time is real.

It is the year of red monkey.  We met the new year at my cousin's house.
He's the oldest of my mother's 2nd younger sister.
My mother had three younger sisters and two younger brothers.  
It is very important for Koreans to keep those hierarchy straight.
They have different name for different order, different for sisters and brothers.


Everyone gathered around loaded tables on the new year day to remember
five generations of ancestors. 






The names of my uncle and aunt. The tables are over 100 years old
and wobbly...  Some poor ancestors may never had it good when they were living:
dried cod, chicken, beef and pork.

And the younger generations bow to the elders and receive
Blessed Money.  I bowed to my elder cousins for the first 
time but no money....



세뱃돈은 못 받았어도...  I made a formal bow to my older cousin but he did not pay!